Last updated on June 21st, 2020
Watermelon is the summers’ ultimate thirst quencher. The sweet and sticky juice of watermelon running down your face? But when faced with cutting a giant watermelon, it can be hard to know where to start.
A lot of people cut watermelon into triangles that include the rind that to be such a pain to cut and eat. These five easy steps will have you eating the watermelon in no time.
1. Rinse it thoroughly
Bacteria lurks on melon skin, and you don’t want to drag it into your melon so rinse it properly.
2. Slice off both the ends
Lay the watermelon on a clean cutting board and trim both ends with a sharp knife.
3. Slice in Half
Stand up the watermelon and slice down the middle to create two big halves.
4. Lay each half flesh side-down and cut in half again
Cut each half in half lengthwise, or even quarters. You’ll have a total of 4 long pieces.
5. Cut the Watermelon Into Slices
Turn each quartered into thick or thin slices, as you wish. You can slice into 1″ strips to create triangles.
Serve the watermelon slices immediately or keep them, covered and chilled, until ready to eat. They will keep nicely overnight if you want to prep them the night before. Giving them a bit of time in the fridge gives them even more of the refreshing chill we all crave during those hot days of summer when watermelons are at their best.
A few ways to dress up melon slices:
- Spritz with lime juice and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Salt & pepper — no joke, it’s delicious on a sweet melon.
- Serve alongside a cheese or charcuterie platter—sweet melon balances out salty cheese and meat very nicely.
- Sweeten up less-than-perfectly ripe melon with a drizzle of honey or agave syrup.
- Offer melon slices sprinkled with salt alongside tequila shots in place of the more pedestrian lime wedges for fun — and more satisfying — take on throwing one back.
- Plop a slice of melon alongside a dish of sorbet.