Cold brew coffee is amazingly simple to make at home. Here is a helpful tip explaining how to make cold brew coffee so you end up with the perfect brew every time.
Homemade cold brew coffee is smooth, slightly sweet, and super refreshing. It is more affordable than buying at a coffee shop. You can make this on the weekend, then pour your coffee from Friday every morning.
PREP TIME: 10 mins COOK TIME: 12 hrs TOTAL TIME: 12 hrs 10 mins
SERVINGS: 3 servings
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 1 cup of coffee beans
- Coffee grinder
- Mason jar or pitcher with lids
- Rubber band
1. Grind the coffee beans into a coarse grind. Grind the coffee beans in a coffee grinder until they are coarsely ground.
2. In a 1-quart wide-mouth mason jar, combine the coffee and water. Stir to combine. Gently stir the coffee with the water until well-blended.
3. Steep the coffee overnight in the fridge. Put a lid on your container and refrigerate it for 12 to 18 hours.
4. Strain the coffee concentrate. When you’re ready to strain your cold brew, place a thin paper coffee filter or a small, thin cotton napkin or handkerchief or cheesecloth over a small fine-mesh sieve. Pour the concentrate through the prepared sieve into a liquid measuring cup or pitcher. Let it rest for a few minutes to let the last of the cold brew trickle down.
5. Transfer to the cold brew to a clean jar for longer-term storage. Once strained, transfer the coffee to clean, airtight jars for long-term storage. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
6. To serve, pour the cold brew concentrate over ice, with water or with your favorite milk or creamer.
Recommended Steeping Time
The steeping time is flexible as well. It is normally 12 to 18 hours. Starbucks steeps their cold brew for 20 hours.
If you accidentally steep yours longer (even 24+ hours), it’s ok. Your concentrate may taste a little more bitter than it would have, but it’s probably fine. It may also be extra-strong, so you might want to dilute with some extra water.
Fun Facts about Cold Brew Coffee
- Cold brew can be strong.
- Cold brew is less acidic.
- You can heat up a cold brew and drink it hot.
- Cold brew takes longer to make than drip coffee.
- Coarsely-ground coffee makes the best cold brew.
- Use any coffee variety you enjoy to make cold brew.