Last updated on August 4th, 2019
French toast is a satisfying comfort food for any time of day. French toast recipe made with eggs, milk, and bread. Vanilla extract and cinnamon bring a richness of flavor to French toast.
Pick your favorite bread – white, Italian, French or whole wheat. Serve this popular dish with butter and maple syrup. For a richer French toast, use thick slices of brioche bread or challah, along with whole milk, light cream, or half-and-half.
What You’ll Need
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk, half and half, coconut milk, or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, honey or maple syrup
- 8 to 10* slices sandwich bread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
How to Make It
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a flat-bottomed pie plate or baking dish. Place bread slices, one or two at a time, into the egg mixture and flip to make sure both sides of bread are well-coated.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or on a griddle. Place bread slices in skillet or on griddle and cook until golden brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in oven until ready to serve, but no longer than about 30 minutes.
You are simply dipping your bread slices into the egg mixture. If you leave your bread in the mixture for an extended amount of time, it will absorb more liquid and take longer to cook through.