One of our favorite comfort foods to make for our selves and others is a warm bowl of homemade mashed potatoes. It’s important to know how to make mashed potatoes exactly the way you like them.
Prep Time – 25 MIN Total Time – 45 MIN Ingredients – 5 Servings – 10
Three variables that will have a big impact on your mashed potatoes:
1. The type of potato you use
2. The kind of dairy you add (plus any extra ingredients for flavor)
3. The tool you use to mash the potatoes
- 8 to 10 medium potatoes (about 3 lb.), peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup hot milk
1. Place potatoes and 2 tablespoons salt in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water by 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat cream, milk, and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts.
3. Drain potatoes, and press through a ricer into a large saucepan. (Alternatively, mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth.
4. Pour warmed cream mixture over potatoes in a slow, steady stream, and stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a covered bowl over simmering water for up to 2 hours.