Buttermilk is versatile and also a common ingredient in baking or cooking. However, it’s not common to always keep a jug of buttermilk on hand.
Do not run to grocery store when you can make your own at home with just two common ingredients. All you need is milk and acid. It can help tenderize a cake or add a fresh zing to a smoothie. Here is a step by step guide to making buttermilk in no time.
YIELD: PREP TIME: TOTAL TIME:
1 CUP 0 HOURS 5 MINS 0 HOURS 15 MINS
- 1 cup milk
- 1 table spoon fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- Pour one cup of fresh milk into a liquid measuring cup.
- Choose your acid. Either white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Measure one Tablespoon of your chosen acid and add to the milk.
- Give it a quick stir.
- Let milk and acid mixture sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. After this time, the milk will have curdled.
- Give the milk a brisk stir to combine and it’s done!
MAKE BUTTERMILK WITH PLAIN YOGURT:
- Add 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt or 3/4 cup of regular plain yogurt to a liquid measuring cup.
- Add milk until the total volume is 1 cup. Whisk until smooth.
Homemade buttermilk can be used right away or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a couple of weeks.
Any kind of milk will work with this method of making buttermilk. It’s best to use fresh milk with a further out expiration date. Use whole milk for a richer, creamier buttermilk. Use a reduced fat milk for lighter recipes.