Homemade crepes are thin and delicate with the most buttery crisp edges. Crepes are surprisingly easy to make on a whim. Crepes are ready for your choice of sweet or savory fillings and toppings. You only need 8 basic ingredients to make crepes and here is a step by step guide on how to make crepes.
Crepes are made up of simple ingredients such as flour, milk or water, eggs, and salt then frequently they’ll also include butter or oil, and vanilla. No leavening agent (like baking soda or baking powder) is required, these are a wafer-thin, flat, and delicate pastry. The secret is letting the better rest as it gives time for the flour to absorb the liquid and the gluten to relax.
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (180ml) whole milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Fresh fruit, for serving
- Powdered sugar, for serving
How to Make Crepes
- Add ingredients in a blender and blend them. Add milk, flour, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla, and eggs to a blender, then blend on low speed until well combined, about 10 seconds.
- Rest batter: Cover and chill 1 hour (or overnight if desired).
- Preheat skillet and melt butter: In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Pour batter into buttered skillet: About 1/4 cup at a time, drop batter evenly onto a pan, swirling it to evenly coat.
- Cook until golden brown spots appear on the bottom: Cook until golden brown on bottom then use an offset spatula to lift an edge of the crepe, grab the edge of the crepe with your fingertips and flip the crepe to the opposite side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve crepes warm with fresh fruit and powdered sugar.