Last updated on August 4th, 2019
The Department of Telecommunication (DOT) has Instructed All The Indian Telecom Operators To Verify All Mobile Numbers By Linking It To Aadhaar. Here is how you can link your Aadhaar with Mobile Number.
If you want to link your mobile number with Aadhaar, there can be two scenarios:
1. You are linking it for the first time;
2. You have changed your phone number and want to update your Aadhaar data by replacing the old number with the new one.
Linking your mobile number to Aadhaar for the first time:
This needs to be done offline. To do this offline you need to follow these steps:
• Visit your nearest Aadhaar centre to get the Aadhaar Update/Correction Form or download it from the UIDAI website.
• Fill out the form correctly; submit it to the concerned person at the centre and mention on the form that only mobile number is to be updated.
• While submitting the update form, along with photocopy of your Aadhaar card you also need to provide photocopy of an Identity proof documents such as PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID card.
• Following the submission your biometrics will be verified at the enrolment centre. Your thumb impression will be verified. While applying for Aadhaar your biometrics were recorded and to authenticate the changes, they are verified.
• After verifying the biometrics, you will be given an acknowledgement slip. Usually it takes 2-5 working days for the updation to happen but as per the UIDAI helpline the turnaround time for the updation is 10 days.
Updating your mobile number
Updating a mobile number can be done online, but make sure that your existing number linked to your Aadhaar, is functional and handy. This is because the OTP to authenticate the updation would be sent to your existing number. You will be able link your new mobile number with Aadhaar only after submitting the OTP sent on your old number.
• On the UIDAI website, there’s an option under the Aadhaar Update tab that will redirect the user to the Aadhaar Self-Service portal.
• Enter your Aadhar number, and the Captcha text and request for OTP.
• The OPT will be sent to your existing mobile number, and after submitting it you’ll be redirected to a new page, where you can update the desired details.
• Under ‘Select field(s) to update’, select ‘Mobile Number’
• Now enter your new mobile number that you want to record in the database and submit.