Last updated on December 27th, 2017
Trying to delete your Instagram account? Here’s how to temporarily disable or permanently delete your Instagram account.
Deleting your Instagram account requires nothing aside from a few quick clicks and confirmations on the Instagram website.
There are two different ways to take your Instagram profile offline.
1) Temporarily disable your Instagram account: When you temporarily disable your account, your profile, photos, comments and likes will all be hidden. However, when you log back in, all of that information will be reactivated.
2) Delete your Permanent Instagram account: When you permanent delete your account, your profile, photos, videos, comments, likes and followers will be permanently removed.
Once you’ve deleted your account, you won’t be able to sign up again with the same username, or add the same username to another account. It’s also impossible to reactivate a deleted account.
How to temporarily disable Instagram account
To temporarily disable your Instagram account, follow these steps:
- Log into instagram.com from a mobile browser or computer. You can’t temporarily disable your account from within the Instagram app.
- Tap or click the user () icon in the top right and then select Edit Profile.
- Scroll down, then tap or click Temporarily disable my account in the bottom right.
- Select an option from the drop-down menu next to Why are you disabling your account? and re-enter your password. The option to disable your account will only appear after you’ve selected a reason from the menu.
- Tap or click Temporarily Disable Account.
How to delete Instagram account permanently
To permanently delete your account:
- Go to the Delete Your Account page. If you’re not logged into Instagram on the web, you’ll be asked to log in first. You can’t delete your account from within the Instagram app.
- Select an option from the drop-down menu next to Why are you deleting your account? and re-enter your password. The option to permanently delete your account will only appear after you’ve selected a reason from the menu.
- Click or tap Permanently delete my account.
If you’d like to delete a different account, click the username in the top-right of the Delete Your Account page, tap/click on the settings icon next to username and select Log Out. Log back in as the account you want to delete and follow the directions above.