White shoes are stylish, bright and a wardrobe staple for both men and women alike. It is one of the most versatile items in your closet. It can easily get dirty from normal wear and tear. To keep your white shoes looking fresh, you’ll need to clean them often. There are various cleaning solutions you can use like soapy water, baking soda, bleach, and toothpaste. Once they’re clean, you’ll have shoes that look fresh again! Here are step-by-step tips for how to clean white shoes!
There are three different kinds of white shoes which are leather shoes, canvas shoes, and suede shoes. Here is how you can clean all three kinds of shoes.
How to Clean White Leather Shoes
Leather is one of the easier materials to clean because it doesn’t absorb as much water as some other fabrics. Here’s how to give white leather shoes, a thorough cleaning:
Things you’ll Need
- Tackle surface dirt – Wet a paper towel, squeeze out excess water, and then gently wipe down the outside of your shoes. This will help remove any big pieces of dirt that are caught in different parts of the shoe. After you’re done with this step, let your shoes dry for 10 minutes.
- Clean the sole – Wet your Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and squeeze out any excess water. Run the Magic Eraser up and down the soles of your sneakers or shoes until the dirt and stains are gone. You want to make sure your Magic Eraser is damp but not dripping all over your shoes.
- Scrub with soap – And now, the most satisfying step. Wet your rag or cotton shirt and lather it up with some Ivory soap. In a small gentle motion, massage the upper part of the shoe until it returns back to its perfect white color. Wipe any excess soap with the rag. After this last step, let your shoes dry again for 10 minutes.
Depending on how dirty your shoes were, you may need to repeat this process a few times.
How to Clean White Canvas Shoes
Here’s how you can clean white canvas shoes with only two household products, baking soda and white vinegar.
- Mix baking soda with white vinegar – Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with two tablespoons of white vinegar and a cup of warm water.
- Start Scrubbin’ – Dip a cloth or clean toothbrush into the paste and begin scrubbing away the dirt on your shoes. The baking soda mixture will dry pretty quickly. Then, brush off any remaining paste and let your shoes air dry.
To clean white Converse shoes (or other canvas styles) without baking soda and white vinegar, you can try this soap and water method.
- Mix dish soap into 1 c (240 ml) of warm water.
- Clean the soles and rubber pieces with a magic eraser.
- Scrub stains with a stiff-bristled toothbrush.
- Pat excess water away with a towel.
How to Clean Suede Shoes
Cleaning suede shoes can be a little tricky since it’s a delicate fabric that stains easily.
Things you’ll Need
- Soft Cotton Cloth
- A pink pencil eraser
- White vinegar
- A suede brush
- Begin by blotting – Blot your shoes with the soft cloth to help remove any moisture. Then, gently rub any stains with the pink pencil eraser.
- Dry with a paper towel – Place a paper towel onto any wet stains and apply pressure. Make sure not to rub the dirt and stains as they could spread across the shoe.
- Get rid of remaining stains – Dip your soft cloth in white vinegar and very gently rub any remaining stains. Once you’ve done that, you’ll want to allow your shoes to dry and then rub the outside of each shoe with a suede brush. This will help them get that velvety texture back.