Start on the path to healthier living with these tips from the wellness experts at Walgreens.
When it comes to creating a healthy lifestyle, some recommendations are fairly simple, such as exercising regularly and eating right. Many people, however, don’t know how much exercise they should get or which foods are the best choices. They also may not realize there are other ways to take care of their bodies and minds to promote better overall health.
- The American Heart Association recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity at least five days a week, and that’s because an active lifestyle can help you achieve far more than muscle mass or weight loss.
- Regular exercise can also contribute to mental well-being, and even something as simple as a walking break or two at work can provide health benefits.
- The keys to a healthy diet are eating the right amount of calories for your activity level and eating a wide range of foods to ensure that you’re receiving all the nutrients your body needs.
- By prioritizing great taste and ingredient guidelines, such as minimizing hydrogenated oils, trans fats and artificial ingredients, Walgreens Nice! products help take the guesswork out of making healthier choices.
- In an effort to simplify healthy living, the line’s packaging, products and ingredient standards were updated, and offerings now include organic and gluten-free options in addition to traditional baking goods and other general grocery items.
Get enough sleep
- Sleep plays a vital role in good health and well-being, and can help improve your mental health, physical health and quality of life.
- The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours per night for adults and 9-11 hours for school-aged children.
- If you find sleep elusive, try implementing a bedtime routine to send signals to your body that it’s time to sleep, avoid screen time immediately before lights out and eliminate caffeine after lunch.
- Between juggling a career, family and other commitments, it’s easy to find things to stress over. Practices such as meditation and yoga can help better manage stress.
- Setting aside time for a favorite hobby can also help relieve stress and focus on an activity you enjoy.
- Aside from mental and emotional impacts, stress can also impact your physical health, so it’s important to identify coping mechanisms that reduce overall stress.
- Making time to socialize with friends and family is an important part of living a long and healthy life.
- Even if your schedule is packed, try to block out time at least once a week to spend with family and friends.
Break bad habits
- Whatever their nature, work to break bad habits by first acknowledging the problem then working to replace the negativity with alternatives that make a more positive impact on your life. Even a negative attitude can bring you down.
Photos courtesy of Getty Images