Apple Pay allows you to store your frequently used credit, debit, and rewards cards on your favorite Apple device. Here’s how to set up and use Apple Pay for purchases online and in-store.
Apple Pay is supported on most modern devices — iPhone models from the iPhone SE to the current iPhone X are supported and all Apple Watches support Apple Pay. The fifth-generation iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini 3 and 4, and the iPad Air 2 work with Apple Pay. As for Macs, if your computer is capable of running MacOS Sierra or later, you should be fine.
It is supported by most financial institutions and credit card companies in the U.S. Apple provides an up-to-date list of all financial institutions that accept Apple Pay.
It is supported by hundreds of brands and websites with more being added all the time. You can find the current list of supported retailers here. Many third-party apps also allow you to use Apple Pay. You can check some of those apps out here.
How to set up Apple Pay
Apple pay lets you add eight cards across your various supported devices. If you have multiple devices from apple then you need to add to all devices. For Example, if you have iPhone and Apple Watch, you need to add your cards to both devices.
How to add cards to iPhone and iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Wallet app.
- On your iPad or iPhone, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap Add Credit or Debit Card.
- If you don’t have Touch ID or a passcode already set up, you will be asked to do so.
- Tap Continue. If you want to use the card you have on file with iTunes or the App Store, you just need to enter the security code on the back of your card.
- To add a different card to your account, tap Add a Different Card. You can scan your card or enter the details manually.
- Tap Next to have your card information verified. You may be prompted to contact your to complete the verification process. One verification is complete, tap Next and you’re all set to use Apple Pay.
How to add cards to Apple Watch
- To add a card to your Apple Watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Go to the My Watch tab and select the watch you’re going to use with Apple Pay.
- Tap Wallet & Apple Pay > Add Credit or Debit Card.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your card, or enter the security code associated with the card you already use with iTunes.
- Tap Next and your information will be verified. In some cases, your bank may need more information.
- After your information is verified, tap Next once again to finish the setup process.
How to add cards to Mac
- To add a card to your Mac, you need to go to System Preferences > Wallet & Apple Pay, then click Add Card.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. If you want to use the card you have on file with iTunes or the App Store, you just need to enter the security code on the back of your card.
- To add a new card, simply enter your card details and click Next.
- Apple will attempt to verify your card. You may need to contact your bank to complete the verification process.
- Once your card has been verified, click Next to complete the setup process.
How to use Apple Pay in stores
It’s easy to spot retailers that accept Apple Pay. Stores that accept Apple Pay will have one of these logos on the door or at the register near its contactless reader:
To use Apple Pay in stores, you will need to have your iPhone or Apple Watch present.
- If you have an iPhone with Touch ID, just place your finger on the Touch ID scanner and hold the phone near the reader (within one inch) until you see Done accompanied by a check mark.
- To use a different card for your purchase, just tap the default card when it appears before you authenticate with Face ID.
2. iPhone X users will double tap the side button and glance at your phone. Hold your phone close to the contactless reader until you see Done accompanied by a check mark.
- To use a different card for your purchase, hold your phone near the reader without placing your finger on Touch ID. When your card appears, you can tap it to swap with another card in your wallet. Once your card is selected, place your finger on Touch ID to finish the payment.
3. To pay using your Apple Watch, double-click the side button and hold the watch near the reader until you see the word Done and the accompanying check mark.
- To change cards on the Apple Watch, double-click the side button before holding it near the reader. When your default card appears, swipe left or right to change cards. Hold your watch near the reader to continue with your payment.
How to use Apple Pay in apps or in safari
Using Apple Pay in an app or in Safari is just as simple as using it elsewhere. Simply tap the ‘Buy with Apple Pay’ button, review your payment details, then place your finger on the Touch ID sensor to finish the transaction.
This is a much more streamlined process than entering your Apple ID details, and the biometric authorization makes it more secure. With the iPhone X you’ll verify using Face ID instead, which is supposedly even more secure.
Pay your friends
With iOS 11 you can also send payments directly through iMessage. Simply tap the ‘A’ symbol to the left of the text box in your conversation, then tap the Apple Pay icon.
Next, enter the amount you want to send, then approve the payment with Touch ID or Face ID and the money will arrive with your contact instantly.
How to check your transaction history
You can check your recent translations by opening the Wallet app. Initially, you will only be shown the last transaction made with a card. To see more than that, tap the card and the “i” icon, followed the Transactions tab.