Last updated on June 21st, 2020
Resizing images can be useful for multiple reasons like if you need to send a bunch of pictures in an email or upload them to a website or need them in presentations. Photoshop is not required to resize an image and here is how to do it for free using different methods.
You can resize an image with free tools in MAC OS, Windows, and online. You can also do free apps on your mobile device.
1. Using an Image Resizing Website
There are tons of websites that will let you quickly upload and resize any image file. Resizing using a website is most effective while using a computer or laptop. Some of the more popular sites include:
Step 1: Save the image
Save the images you want to resize on your computer or laptop where you can find easily. If you’re doing so from the web, right-click it and select Save image as… from the drop-down menu. You can save in any format but PNG or JPEG are two of the best.
Step 2: Go to ResizeImage.net
It is best free online image resizer and compressor on the web. You can crop and resize any image to the exact pixels or proportion you specified and reduce the file size significantly without losing quality for Free without Photoshop.
Click the Upload an Image button to find the image file on your computer that you want to resize.
Step 3: Resize an Image
Once the image is uploaded then go to #4. Resize your image and use the sliders or manually type in your aspect ratio and #6. select the output image format then click on Resize Image button at the bottom of the page.
Step 4: Re-save your image
Once you’re done editing and resizing your image, select the Download Image Link at the bottom of the page. When prompted, give it a new name (so as not to confuse it with the original image), confirm the file type and hit the Save button again. Your image will then be downloaded automatically.
2. Using Paint in Windows
Resizing images in Windows 10 is easy, especially in comparison to earlier versions of the OS. Microsoft chose to remove the Photo Gallery option and focus primary on using Paint.
- Type Paint in Windows search box and click the application’s icon once found.
- Once open, select File in the Paint top menu and choose Open from the resulting drop-down menu.
- Once you’ve opened your image, look to the Home tab, and use the Resize tool to tweak the image as you want.
- When you’ve finished, select File, followed by Save, to store your resized image.
3. Using Preview in Mac OS
Preview is a default program for viewing images and PDFs in Mac OS.
- To resize an image using Preview, select its icon and open the image you want to edit in the File menu.
- Choose the image from its save location and then select Tools from the top menu.
- Adjust Size will give you all the options you need to adjust the size and shape of your chosen image.