Last updated on June 20th, 2020
Restricted Mode is an optional setting that you can use on YouTube to help screen out potentially mature content that you may prefer not to see or don’t want others using your device to see. It also blocks the comments on all videos, even the ones you’re able to watch. Here is a step by step guide on how to disable restricted mode on youtube on your computer or mobile.
How to turn off Restricted Mode on YouTube on a computer
- Go to youtube.com in your browser and click on your profile icon, located in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of that menu and click “Restricted Mode: On.”
- Toggle the “Activate Restricted Mode” option off.
How to turn off Restricted Mode on YouTube in the mobile app
- Open the YouTube app on your mobile.
- Tap Profile Picture.
- Tap “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- iPhone users should toggle off the “Restricted Mode” option. Android users should select “General” and then toggle the “Restricted Mode” option off.
Problems disabling Restricted Mode
Computers in libraries, universities, and other public institutions may have Restricted Mode enabled by the system administrator. If you’re using a public computer and can’t disable Restricted Mode, contact your system administrator.
Restricted Mode works on the browser or device level, so you must turn it on for each browser you use. If your browser supports multiple profiles, you must enable it for each profile.